Friday, November 12, 2010

A Real Class Act! Gracious, Appreciative And Humble Even In Defeat!

Published by Dick Schaefer, Award-winning, Unpaid, Part-time Contributing Writer; Amateur Investigative Reporter; and Aspiring Photo-Journalist

Date:  11/12/2010
Post:  1,066

Sharon Meyer Display Ad
11/10 Edition of The Hermann Advertiser-Courier

Photo by Dick Schaefer (Hermann Hearsay).
Copyright protected.  All rights reserved.

As many of you know, I supported Sharon Meyer for Gasconade County Clerk in the recent General Election.  Sharon lost the election to incumbent Lesa Lietzow. 

Although I congratulate Lesa for her election victory, I remain a huge supporter of Sharon MeyerSharon will continue to have my support and my vote should she decide to run for elective office in the future.  You learn a lot about a person when you get involve with their campaign for public office, but you learn even more about that person after the votes have been counted.  Sharon and her husband, Mark, have been gracious, appeciative of the support they received and humble in defeat!

In case you haven't seen Sharon's display ad in the November 10th issue of The Hermann Advertiser-Courier, I thought I would publish it here .....

Dear Family, Friends, and Neighbors,

Even though I did not win the election, I can truly say I was blessed by the experience of running for the County Clerk's office.  As I traveled throughout our county, I met wonderful people and enjoyed finding out their views about our government, both local and national.

I am grateful and very proud of the people who supported my candidacy.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Your friendship means the world to me.

Most importantly, I want to take this opportunity to thank every person who took time on November 2nd and voted.  I want to encourage each of you to stay informed and active i government issues, from the local level to the national government.

My prayer for the citizens is that elected officials, at all levels of government, will remember "It's NOT about Politics!  It's about Good Government!" and serve the citizens with integrity, accountability, and professionalism.

Thank You!

Sharon Ann Meyer

Sharon, maybe you didn't WIN this election, but in my eyes, you're still a WINNER!


Reciprocal Links:  http://www.dschaefer.vemma.com/ (Nutrition For A Lifetime), http://www.heart2heartlyrics.blogspot.com/ (Song Lyrics Seeking Singer-Songwriters), http://www.hermannmonews.blogspot.com/ (The 'Drudge Report' of Hermann), http://www.hermannadvertisercourier.com/ (Gasconade County's Newspaper of Record), http://www.rivertownrecipes.blogspot.com/ (Great Local Recipes), http://www.time4pie.com/ (Great Pie, Coffee & Conversation), http://www.WatkinsOnline.com/richardhschaefer (Watkins Natural Products)

8 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, A-1 Class.

    There is one word in Ms. Meyer's ad that jumped off the page when I read it.

    'Serve' (very last paragraph)

    Ms. Meyer gets it!!! Being a Politician isn't about knowing whats best for the rest. It's about serving those who elected you.

    Unfortunately too many sheeple vote for so called 'Leaders' and not Representatives.

    Our founding father's understood that arrogant leadership leads to tyranny. They tried to convey this fact in the 'Bill Of Rights'

    True Leadership is the Representation of 'The People'

    Arrogant Leadership is nothing more than Dictatorship.

    Thank you Mr. Schaefer for posting this ad for free!

    Wow, what a concept, writer of ad gets to post to the public and the public gets to read it, without money changing hands!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TO SERVE great words from a Great Lady! Politicians, Newspapers,and Online News should live by those words! Cletus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost 3 weeks after the election and we're still talking about her? Let it go. Lietzow won. For her to imply that she would have "served" better than Lisa is a misconception, and obviously the voters of Gasconade county think that Lisa would do a better job than Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Laughing,

    Thanks for reading Hermann Hearsay, and thanks for participating in the discussions with your comments!

    As a Clerk Lietzow supporter, you should know that "Lesa" spells her first name with an "e" and not an "i".

    I have attended County Commission meetings and I have read the Missouri state financial audits of our county. We have many voters in this county who have done neither. If these "low-information voters" would look into our current Clerk's performance, perhaps they would agree with me (and many others) that we really need to make a change.

    I respect your position. You are entitled to you opinion, just as I am entitled to mine.

    Dick Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please excuse my mistake on the spelling.

    I also respect your position, as you are entitled to it.

    But to insult the voters of county by calling them "low-information voters" is absurd. That is the political equivalent of name calling after losing a fight. It's petty, and makes yourself look like an elitist, a sort of, I'm smarter then the average citizen type of talk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Laughing,

    I am not insulting all the voters of this county by saying that some are "low-information voters". I am not trying to say that I am "smarter" than the average citizen. I am, however, saying that I am more informed than most. I HAVE taken the time to attend County Commission meetings. And I know from first-hand that there are only 5 or 6 people who regularly attend these meetings, half of whom are reporters. After awhile, I stopped attending, because I could not bear to observe the incompetence and arrogance. I HAVE taken the time to read the 2002, 2006 and 2010 Missouri state audits for Gasconade County, whereas I am quite confident that less than 5% of voters have taken the time to do this. If you haven't already read these audits, you should access them at www.auditor.mo.gov. I'm sure you will then agree with me that many deficiencies have been found and that very little has been done to correct these deficiencies.

    It's a matter of having time to dig into things. Most people in this county are too busy with their own daily lives to check into county government the way I have. They trust their elected officials to do a competent job. Their trust is misplaced.

    No, I'm not "smarter". I've just chosen to become informed. And I don't blindly trust elected officials in government at any level.

    How informed are you, Laughing. Do you read the County Commission Meeting Minutes in the paper each week? Have you ever attended any of the weekly County Commission Meetings? Do you regularly talk with people who do attend the meetings? Have you read the published audit results for Gasconade County on the Missouri State Auditor website? Have you observed the county's budget "managment" process? If you haven't, you should.

    Dick Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not attended the meetings, so in that, you have a leg up on me.

    As for the meeting minutes, yes I do read them. Holding a degree in Political Science from Mizzou, I tend to enjoy reading the minutes.

    I have not read the reports, though the auditing of Claire McCaskill I'm not going to read, although I have found Susan Montee to be quite fair so I'll probably read them.

    Anyways, my point is that I don't feel that Sharon would be doing a better job than what Lesa is currently giving us.

    I hope you do not find me insulting, I as enjoy good political debate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Laughing,

    By no means do I find you "insulting". No sir, I respect you for asserting your views and opinions. You do so very ably on this site.

    Interesting that you see Susan Montee the way I do. I'm a conservative and if presented with a competent Republican, I will tend to vote for the Republican. But in Susan Montee's case, I found her competent, experienced and qualified as a Democrat. She has both a JD degree and a CPA certification which her Republican opponent does not have. I know that she conducts impartial, thorough audits and I know she has saved the state money by farming out some of the work to private CPA firms. The "D" behind her name didn't bother me, so I voted for her. But this year was not a good year for Democrats, so she lost to someone who is probably not as qualified.

    And now that I know you're a Mizzou grad, my tone toward you will problably be more friendly. I can tend to be blunt and argumentative .... but I can never argue with a fellow Tiger! GO TIGERS!

    If I get too preachy or argumentative, just bark back at me!

    Dick Schaefer

    ReplyDelete