Thursday, October 21, 2010

PART 1 of 2: Does this ad represent a "necessary and effective expenditure of public funds" by the Sheriff's Department?

***** UPDATED thru 11/10/2010 *****


Published by Dick Schaefer, Award-winning, Unpaid, Part-time Contributing Writer; Amateur Investigative Reporter; and Aspiring Photo-Journalist

Date:  10/21/2010
Post:  935

Is this newspaper advertisement (see photo below) by the Gasconade County Sheriff's Department appropriate?  Does this ad represent a "necessary and effective expenditure of public funds" by the Sheriff's Department?  Give me your comments.  I will return on Monday,10/25 with my own critical analysis and opinion in PART 2 of 2:  "Necessary and effective expenditures of public funds" do not include political ads by public office holders!

Newspaper Ad by Randy Esphorst, Gasconade Courty Sheriff
Appearing on Page 17A of the Wednesday, 10/20/2010 edition of The Hermann
Advertiser-Courier, the Sheriff's display ad was one (1) of twenty-one (21) total
affinity ads "endorsing" the "Halloween Coloring Contest" for children ages 12 and under.


Photo taken 10/21/2010 by Dick Schaefer (Hermann Hearsay).
Copyright protected.  All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Do the other county officials run public relations affinity ads? Collector? Clerk? Commissioners? Assessor? Just the Sheriff?

    Johnny Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've seen these ads for a long, long time! I've wondered who was paying for them! Don't think public officials should use public funds for PR purposes! I think the County Commissioners and the State Auditors told the Sheriff he shouldn't be doing this ..... but he continues to do it anyway!

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the sheriff thinks this ad is an effective means to gain support, well it has the opposite effect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did we miss part 2??????????

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. Nonymous,

    No you haven't missed it. I am delinquent in completing my investigation ..... and I have had a death in the family which has required my attention to that.

    I expect to post PART 2 on Thursday or Friday of this week.

    Thanks for your interest and thanks for inquiring!

    Dick Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry for your loss.
    Feel real bad for even asking about part 2!!!

    ReplyDelete