Sunday, July 25, 2010

Editorial Comment - On The Horns Of An Editorial Dilemna

Published by Jimmy Oldsun, NDRIRSRWRAFTC & Editor

I don't normally work on a Sunday.  But I'm feeling very conflicted today, and I thought it would do me some good to get a nagging concern off my chest by writing about it.  My dear readers, my dear friends, I could really use some of your best and wisest advice!  I value your opinion!

I've been sitting on a story about the inner workings of our Gasconade County government since this past Friday, 7/23.  I have a story to tell about an incident which occurred during the Road Department Meeting in Drake on Thursday morning, 7/22.  Members of the editorial board here at Hermann Hearsay have been discussing this story since Friday, and we remain split on whether to publish it.  I have discussed the story with Truman T. Tiger, our owner, and also with Clark Kant, our CEO and Senior Managing Editor.  They, too, are conflicted about publishing this potentially explosive story.  When we couldn't reach a consensus, I told them I'd like to take the issue to our readers and ask you what you think.

Here is our dilemna:

On one hand, we have a story which we believe needs to be reported because:
  1. it is a true story and actually occurred,
  2. it is sourced by a very credible eyewitness,
  3. it is very important (in my judgment) for all citizens of the county to know about this story,
  4. it involves the County Commissioners, the titular "leaders" of Gasconade County, and
  5. it describes their failure to maintain order, decorum and decency during an official county meeting during which county employees were present.
On the other hand, the publication of this potentially explosive story is likely to:
  1. cause great embarrassment to two of our County Commissioners,
  2. create increased division between and personal animosity among our County Commissioners, and
  3. further destroy any possibility that this County Commission as currently comprised will ever be able to work together for the good of the county.
This is the jist of our dilemna.  Journalism is tough work.  It often calls for tough judgments to be made.

In this case, the judgments which need to be made by Hermann Hearsay are these: 
  1. In our democracy, does the public's right to know trump any politician's desire to withhold information from the public so as to avoid widespread personal embarrassment? 
  2. In our democracy, should the press withhold a story about government from the public if that story is likely to cause even greater disfunction and disorder than already exists within the government?
I invite you into the inner sanctum of the Hermann Hearsay editorial boardroom.  Tell us what you think!  Run with the story OR spike the story?

Performance Metrics:
Total # FREE Subscribers: 000,345
Total # Premium Subscribers: 000,029
Total # Ultra Premium Subscribers: 000,004
Total # Platinum Lifetime Subscribers: 000,003
Subscribers Currently Online: 000,096
New Visitors Currently Online: 000,032
Alexa U.S. Traffic Ranking: 160,304
Total # Subscriber Telethons, Raffles & Bake Sales: 000,000

Reciprocal Websites:
www.dschaefer.vemma.com/ (Ultra Premium Nutritional Drinks)
www.ngnn.com/ (Hermann, New Haven and Owensville NEWS)
www.rivertownrecipes.blogspot.com/ (Food & Drink Recipes)
www.vemmadrinker.blogspot.com/ (Premium Nutritional Drinks)

Non-Reciprocal Websites:
www.dorasspinningwheel.com/ (Embroidered Caps, Shirts, Etc.)
www.timeforpie.com/ (Pie, Rolls, Scones, Coffee, Lattes & More)

11 comments:

  1. Jimmy I think the people of this county need to know what our public officals are doing. We elect them and pay them to work for us! I trust you to report articals that are truthful and based on facts that are backed by public document, recording, or direct interveiw. I think it is ironic that CNL has just posted an artical about a Blogger being sued for liable,this is interesting. A lot of articals on Hermannhearsay are funny,interesting, and factual,thats why the ratings are soaring! The editor of this web does a lot of research on all of the stories he prints. Comments on this web are checked for accuracy.If I make any comment that anyone has a problem with please let me know. I enjoyed the comments made by Mr. Chorley, he was treated with respect as will you be. I have read a number of emails directed at a member of the staff that I consider slander, liable, and on the edge of criminal, this is in addition to the public attacks. This just shows us who the better man is! Cletus......You might have noticed Me and Fred love Missouri Mules we would like to see pictures of your mules or any stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run with the story, Jimmy, and don't look back!

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have the source(s) to back up your story, publish it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it, Jimmy! Just make sure your source is solid!

    A. E. Newman
    Bland, MO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, Jimmy! I'm still uneasy about this one! But IF your credible eyewitness source is willing to confirm the story with a strong affimative comment on 'Hermann Hearsay', then I say you are on solid ground.

    I will be interested to see what our readers say!

    Clark Kant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mildred Ratched, R.N.July 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

    Jimmy,

    I appreciate your sensitivity to all the people this story will impact. You're a sensitive guy!

    Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randall Patrick McMurphyJuly 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM

    Sounds like you've got some nut cases over there in Gasconade County!

    R. P. McMurphy

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you publish the story, Jimmy, be prepared for some "blowback"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy! You guys really do think long and hard before published something! I appreciate that!

    Tyrone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mighty find journalistic standards, Jimmy! My kudos to you, Clark and Truman.

    Thurston B. Howell, III

    ReplyDelete
  11. Commissioners did this! Commissioners did that! I'm tired of reading about their three-ring circus! I just as soon hear more Willie Nelson songs!

    Elmer

    ReplyDelete